When turning to a meat free vegan diet the fist thing everyone seems to miss is a burger. My boys love a good burger with lashings of tomato sauce, fried onions and lots of salad. And to be honest most boys and men agree.
So here is a really good meat free, vegan alternative for you to try. The difference is the burger is soft rather than a solid. There are plenty of vegan cheeses that melt available in supermarkets.
I pile my bap with green salad, red peppers, tomatos, fried onions, sprouts, avocado and tomatoe sauce. Taste sensation. The perfect Friday night boys tea or girls tea!!
If your burger seems a little too soft add more flour to the mix. Remember a burger doesn't have to be round! If you don't have a bun stick it between two slices of your fav bread.
- tablespoon of olive oil
- 3/4cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 ounces of mushrooms
- 8 ounces of green lentils
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rock salt
- 3/4 cup of spelt flour, if using gluten free flour add a teaspoon of xanthum gum to the mix
- Place onions in a saucepan and saute until golden. Add the garlic near the end. Boil the lentils for 15 mins, or until just cooked. Not too soft. Blend the mushrooms and all the other ingredients together with the onions, garlic, and lentils. If the mixture is sticky add more flour until you can form balls.
- Place in a frying pan and cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve in wholemeal buns with a huge salad.