I absolutely love falafels. I found an amazing Israeli deli in Nelson New Zealand whilst travelling. A tiny little cafe with a big offering. First bite and that was me hooked. These wonderful Middle Eastern falafels are sauteed rather than fried.
Half a wholemeal pitta, fill with coldslaw, add falafels and mixed salad leaves. Now add your favouite sauces: Tahini, hummus, chilli, sauce, mayo etc. I also pop in fried onions and green oilves and a few more salad leaves to the top. Grab a napkin before first bite!
- 2 cups of washed chick peas, either canned or dried. If using dried soak over night and boil for at least 4 hours.
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- bunch of fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt / pepper
- pinch of crushed chilli flakes (optional )
- place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend
- form into small patties
- flour each one
- add olive oil to large frying pan
- fry until golden and flip over.